Experienced Mediation Lawyers Offering Services in Albany and all of Upstate NY
Mediation and arbitration offer an alternative to the expense and uncertainty of protracted litigation. Some cases must be tried, but alternative dispute resolution (ADR) offers many advantages when the costs, risks and length of a trial outweigh the potential upside.
The law firm of E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy invites both plaintiff attorneys and defense counsel to explore the merits of mediation or arbitration. Our veteran litigators, James Hacker, Mark Sonders and retired United States Magistrate Randolph Treece are available as neutrals to other parties in litigation. Their decades of trial experience in diverse areas of civil practice lends to practical and efficient resolution of even the most complex legal conflicts. Mr. Hacker,Mr. Sonders and retired Magistrate Treece regularly serve as mediators and arbitrators in the Greater Capital District and throughout New York State.
Whether you are working proactively to avoid escalation of a dispute, or have reached an impasse in state or federal court litigation, alternative dispute resolution may be the conscientious and cost-effective option.
They have served as neutrals in the mediation and arbitration of:
- Commercial litigation and business litigation
- Real estate litigation and construction litigation
- Labor and contract disputes
- Personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits
- Product liability
- Insurance subrogation
- Property loss and other insurance coverage disputes
A mediator’s role is to facilitate talks between parties who are motivated to settle but perhaps far apart on the money or other key issue. In arbitration, both sides submit their positions to an arbitrator who renders a decision as a “jury of one.” The binding decision can be converted to a judgment.
Exploring Alternative Dispute Resolution
The growing trend toward arbitration and mediation is a response to the increasing expense of full-fledged litigation. For all the investment, preparation, and strategizing, going to trial often comes down to a “battle of the experts” or the whims of New York juries. Not every case is amenable, but there are many reasons to consider mediation or arbitration:
- A considerably compressed timetable
- Substantially lower legal costs
- Creative solutions not available in a verdict or judgment
- A confidential or face-saving resolution
- Preservation of business relationships or family peace
- Fewer formalities and procedural restrictions
- Consideration of evidence or issues excluded in a trial
- The arbitrator/mediator’s familiarity with the subject matter (compared to a jury and perhaps a judge)
Alternative Dispute Resolution Services in NY
Our knowledgeable legal team handles dispute resolution cases, such as:
- Breach of contract disputes, tort litigation
- Ownership Disputes Dissolution
- Collections, payment disputes
- Timber Trespass Cases
- Commercial Conviction
- Creditors Legal Rights
- Property Tax Eminent Domain
- Mechanic’s and Garageman’s Liens
- Oil Spill Claims
- Professional Liability
To discuss mediation or arbitration of a dispute at any stage of litigation, contact our offices today and schedule an appointment with either James Hacker or Mark Sonders. We also offer assistance in other areas of law, and we provide convenient appointments at any of our five law office locations in Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Colonie, and Saratoga Springs. Call (518) 274-5820.