David treats every case from day 1 as if it will be presented to a jury and
explains each step of the litigation process so that you are an informed client and trial partner.
MORE ABOUT DAVID
David joined the firm as a “Summer Associate” in May of 2013 after completing his second year of law school. His position was originally for a limited time period spanning the summer months. However, David impressed the partners of E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy with his ability to write, critically think on his feet, and the ease of which he understood the new legal issues thrown at him. David stayed on to become a full time Associate Attorney after he graduated.
Over the years David has proven himself a zealous trial advocate for his personal injury cases amassing jury verdicts and favorable settlements for his clients. Having tried an assortment of different personal injury cases, David knows from start to finish what it takes to get the result his clients deserve. As the head of the firm’s small class action litigation department, David was lead counsel for a class of over 34,000 people against Stewart’s Shops, which resulted in financial compensation to every class member. David is actively engaged in pursuing compensation for victims of timber theft where he has several trial victories and multiple favorable appellate decisions on the topic, including an appellate decision increasing a $12,000 monetary award to $124,000.
David is also very active in the local Rugby community in and around the Capital District. David was introduced to Rugby at Albany Law School. In his second year, David became the Vice-President of the team and eventually became President of the team his third year. While in law school, David became one of the founding members of the Albany Bootleggers, a local social rugby club named after one of E. Stewart Jones’ most famous defense clients, Jack ‘Legs’ Diamond. The Albany Bootleggers not only play rugby but concentrate on fraternity and charity, adopting families in need during the holiday season so nobody has to go without, holding annual cancer research fundraising events and holding fundraising events for wounded veterans. Besides Rugby, David otherwise spends a considerable amount of time with his blind rescue dog Betsy and her brother Murray.
- State of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court, Western District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, Albany Law School of Union University
Albany Law School – Law Review, Associate Editor
Albany Law School Rugby Football Club, Vice-President and President
Master of Arts, American Legal History, State University of New York at Albany
Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, State University of New York at Albany
- Obtained numerous trial jury verdicts and pre-verdict settlements in personal injury cases
- Secured a decision for Timber Trespass in the Third Department Appellate Division increasing an award of approximately $12,000 in monetary damages to $124,000
- Obtained a Timber Trespass jury verdict in Clinton County awarding full monetary damages to the client
- Negotiated a seven-figure settlement in a construction accident
- Obtained a jury verdict after a two-week trial finding a school district negligent in the death of a student
- Filed a Fair Labor Standards Act class action on behalf of over 34,000 people against Stewart’s Shops in the Northern District of New York and secured a settlement awarding monetary payment to each individual member
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
“Rising Star,” Personal Injury – Plaintiffs (Upstate New York), Super Lawyers (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
New York State Trial Lawyers Association
New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
Albany County Bar Association
American Bar Association
New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Committee
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, PUBLICATIONS, & CONFERENCES
- Presenter, Ethics Update, “Keeping Current with New York Automobile Litigation” (NYSBA 2018)
- Judge, Senior Prize Trials, Albany Law School, (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Judge, Appellate Advocacy, Albany Law School, (2019, 2020)
- Botelho, Gottlieb, Iversen, O’Donovan, The Changing Plans of New York’s Cities in the Wake of Changing Climates: Is Enough Being Done? The New York Environmental Lawyer, Vol. 34, 48 (Spring 2014).