At E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, we are a team of experienced litigators who are committed to protecting our clients’ best interests. In estate litigation, that means fighting for heirs and beneficiaries, defending personal representatives, and zealously fighting on behalf of other interested parties, both in and out of probate.
Administering a person’s estate can be challenging enough – even under the best of circumstances. The process of estate administration involves complex laws and complicated procedures – on top of the emotional aspects inherent in dealing with a loved one’s death. When disputes arise, they can be extremely trying for all parties involved.
At E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, our lawyers provide experienced legal representation for all parties to estate litigation in Albany’s Capital Region and throughout Upstate New York. We seek to minimize disputes whenever possible, calling on decades of experience in complex probate and trust disputes to help our clients obtain just and efficient resolutions. In addition, while it is often in our clients’ best interests to pursue alternative dispute resolution methods that allow for amicable outcomes to their estate-related disputes, as committed litigators, when necessary we do not hesitate to vigorously represent our clients’ interests in court.
Our Services for Estate Litigation in Upstate New York
Our attorneys represent clients in all types of estate litigation in Upstate New York. Our services include providing legal representation for heirs, beneficiaries, personal representatives, trustees, creditors, and other interested parties in cases involving:
- Will contests, including disputes regarding the validity of wills due to questions of incapacity, undue influence, forgery, and other matters.
- Disputes regarding the interpretation of wills.
- Rights of spouses and blood relatives.
- Trust litigation involving disputes over trust documentation and trust assets.
- Fiduciary litigation involving accusations of fraudulent, negligent, or other improper conduct by personal representatives and trustees.
- Litigation involving payment of taxes, investment decisions, accountings, and other matters involved in estate and trust administration.
- Actions to remove personal representatives and trustees.
- Creditors’ claims to estate assets.
Do I Need an Estate Litigation Attorney?
Regardless of your role in the estate administration process, there may come a point when you need to stand up and say something in order to protect your rights. If someone else has filed a lawsuit to protect his or her rights, you may need to speak with a lawyer who can help you understand the consequences and respond appropriately, as well. If you have questions or aren’t sure where else to turn, we are happy to help you understand your situation, so that you can make an informed decision based on the options that are available.
For your reference, the following are all common scenarios where individuals hire estate litigation attorneys to help them protect their interests and enforce their legal rights:
- Someone left two versions of his or her will.
- You question whether your loved one knew what he or she was signing when he or she executed the will or a trust agreement.
- There is a disagreement regarding the contents of a will, or the intent of the language contained in a will or trust.
- You are concerned that the person responsible for administering your loved one’s estate is not competent to do so.
- You are concerned that assets belonging to the estate have not been collected or managed appropriately.
- As a personal representative or trustee, you have been accused of misappropriating or mismanaging assets belonging to the estate or trust.
Keep in mind: This is just a small sampling. If you are asking the question of whether you need to hire an estate litigation attorney, you owe it to yourself to sit down with someone who can help you understand the situation at hand.
More than 115 Years of Legal Excellence
Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy has been serving clients in the Upstate region for more than 115 years. Our lawyers are committed litigators who focus on helping clients make informed decisions, and who emphasize strategy and cost-effectiveness equally with providing attentive and personal client care. We understand that you are coming to us in a time of need, and we want to help you quickly, so that you can move on with your life.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation Today
For more information about what our estate litigation attorneys can do for you, we invite you to contact us for a free, confidential consultation. To meet with an attorney at one of our four convenient office locations in Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga Springs, or Troy, call us at (518) 274-5820 or request an appointment online today.