E. Stewart Jones, Jr., Partner
Stewart is a third generation lawyer following his grandfather and father in a firm that has its origin in Troy in 1898 and a name partner at E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, LLP.
Stewart’s work is litigation-based focused on medical malpractice, personal injury and criminal defense in the State and Federal Courts.
More About Stewart
He has twice been Chairman of the Albany Law School Board of Trustees, recipient of the Albany Law School Trustee Gold Medal, Chairman of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern, New York, Chairman of the Legal Aid Society Justice for All Campaign, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Albany Academies, Chairman of the Board of Overseers of the Albany Academies, and Vice President of the Board of the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.
He has chaired and co-chaired a number of Capital Campaigns, including those for Albany Law School, the Albany Academies, Gilda’s Club, the Legal Aid Society, the restoration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Albany, and countless academic and charitable Annual Funds. He and his wife Kimberly are currently Co-Chairs of the Community Gardens/Capital Roots Capital Campaign and presently serve on several different capital campaign steering committees.
He and his wife have established 9 endowed educational scholarships at 6 different schools and have also endowed research at a regional cancer research center.
Mr. Jones’ civic recognitions are numerous, including the Citizen Laureate (SUNY Foundation), Spirit of Hope (Gilda’s Club), Community of Excellence Award (St. Rose College), The Hart-Cluett Award (Rensselaer County Historical Society), Partners in Literacy (Literacy Volunteers), Spirit of Unity (Unity House); Beacon of Hope (American Cancer Society), Jefferson Award, Community Citizenship Award (TRIP and RCHR), the Hope House Circle of Hope, Pro Ecclesia at Pontifice Medal (Roman Catholic Church), Equal Access to Justice Award (Legal Aid Society), the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Humanitarian Award, Troy Music Hall, Albany Institute of History and Art, the Envoy Salute Award (Albany Regional Chamber of Commerce).
State of New York
Northern District of New York
Southern District of New York
Western District of New York
Eastern District of New York
United States Claims Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States Supreme Court
United States District Court, District of Vermont
E. Stewart Jones, Jr. graduated from Williams College in 1963 and Albany Law School in 1966 when he joined his family’s firm. Since then he has earned a reputation as a tireless advocate for the rights of those who have been injured by others, as well as those who have been accused of significant crimes.
He is the only New York lawyer outside of three in the City of New York to be elected to the four most exclusive national organizations recognizing select trial lawyer’s accomplishments, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the Inner Circle of Advocates, the International Society of Barristers, and the American College of Trial Lawyers.
He has been listed in the Best Lawyers of America since the inaugural list in 1983 and is now listed in six separate categories.
He is also a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers, the American and New York State Bar Foundations, the Litigation Counsel of America and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Since the inception of the Upstate New York Super Lawyers magazine rankings in 2007 he has been listed as one of the Top 10 Lawyers and has been number one 5 times, including the last 4 years (2016 – 2020), and second in 4 other years. His life and career were the cover story for the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers magazine.
He has achieved 77 million dollar results for his clients, including 25 in excess of two million dollars and 8 more in excess of three million dollars.
He has authored books on Civil and Criminal Trial Advocacy for multiple publishers, including the New York State Bar Association, the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Matthew Bender, and Lexis Law Publishing.
He has spoken to lawyers, statewide and nationally, on more than 200 occasions on every part of a trial and all aspects of trial advocacy, civil and criminal.
He has been the defense counsel in many of the high profile criminal cases tried in this region over the last 40 years.
He has received the New York State Bar Association Attorney Professionalism Award, the Lifetime Advocate Award from the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and the Outstanding Practitioner Award from the Criminal Justice Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Awards & Recognition
- Stewart Jones, Jr.’s success has earned him the professional distinction of being the only New York State lawyer outside of New York City to be elected to the four most exclusive national organizations honoring outstanding trial lawyers:
- the International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- the Inner Circle of Advocates
- the International Society of Barristers
- the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Outstanding Practitioner Award, New York State Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section – (1980).
- Albany Law School – Charter Member Dean’s Cabinet – (1998).
- Albany Academy Distinguished Alumnus Award – (2002).
- Albany Law School Trustees Gold Medal – (2003).
- Equal Access to Justice Award from the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York – Albany County Bar Association at the Albany Law School – (2005).
- Partners in Literacy Award – Literacy Volunteers of Rensselaer County – (2005).
- Little Sisters of the Poor / Our Lady of Hope Residence – For Dedicated Service to the Little Sisters of the Poor – (2005).
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association – Daniel Mahoney Memorial Charter President’s Award – (2006).
- Spirit of Hope Award – Gilda’s Club of the Capital Region – (2006).
- Foundation of the Albany Roman Catholic Arch Diocese Service Award – (2007).
- Silver Legal Leader Award – Community Legal Leaders – Muscular Dystrophy Association – (2008).
- Citizen Laureate Award – The University at Albany Foundation – (2008).
- Troy Music Hall 29th Annual Gala, honoring E. Stewart Jones, Jr. as “a community leader for his contributions to the cultural life of the Capital Region.” – (2009).
- St. Peter’s Church – Father T.K. Flannigan Humanitarian Award for Community Service – (2009).
- CDPHP 25th Anniversary Recognition as one of the community’s “Terrific 25″ for exemplary service on behalf of the community.
- Spirit of Unity Award – Unity House’s Harvest Supper Event – (2009).
- American Cancer Society, Beacon of Hope Award – (2010).
- St. Rose Community Service Award – (2010).
- Jefferson Awards Medalist (In recognition of outstanding volunteerism in the community. A program of the American Institute for Public Service.) – (2010).
- Community Citizen Award from TRIP and RCHR (Troy Rehabilitation and Improvement Program, Inc. and Rensselaer County Housing Resources) – (2010).
- Coordinated Community Response Award – Unity House’s Law Project – (2010).
- Community of Excellence Award (St. Rose College) – (2011).
- The Hart-Cluett Award from the Rensselaer County Historical Society – (2011).
- The Hope House, Circle of Hope Award – (2011).
- Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal (conferred by Pope Benedict XVI for Mr. Jones’ service to the Roman Catholic Church, and in particular, his involvement in the restoration of the Cathedral Church of the Immaculate Conception) – (Conferred December, 2011).
- 2012 Academy of Character Education Business Leader Award (The Academy for Character Education at the Sage Colleges) – (2012).
- The Livingstone Society of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Humanitarian Award to me and to Mr. Jones’ wife, Kimberly Sanger Jones – (2012).
- Rensselaer County Bar Association – Honored for contributions to the Rensselaer County Courthouse Artwork Restoration Fund – (2012).
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure – Pink Tie Guy’s Award – (2013).
- The Albany Academies – Philanthropy Award for Endowed Scholarships – (2013).
- The Albany Institute of History & Art – Honored with wife Kimberly at the Institute’s Annual Gala for contributions to the Institute – (2014).
- The Albany-Colonie Regional Chamber of Commerce Envoy Salute Award for leadership, philanthropy and impact on the economic vitality of the region – (2015).
- Saratoga Performing Arts Center – Founders Circle Award – (2015).
- Tech Valley Hall of Fame – recognition by the Center for Economic Growth and by Junior Achievement for regional contribution – (2016).
- Senior Services of Albany – Third Age Achievement Award – (2016).
- Rensselaer County Chamber of Commerce – The Pattison Citizenship Award – (2016).
- The College of Saint Rose – 1920 Rose of Lima Society – (2018).
- American Cancer Society – Gala of Hope Ring of Honor – (2018).
Honored By His Peers
Mr. Jones is also a Diplomat of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. His election as a Diplomat of the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys reflects the recognition by his peers of his extensive experience and success in the evaluation, negotiation and trial of lawsuits involving the negligence of professionals such as doctors, hospital personnel and other health-care professionals.
Mr. Jones has also been honored by his election as a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers. He is one of very few lawyers in the U.S. who has been Board Certified as both a Civil Trial Advocate and a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (1986-2002). In addition, Mr. Jones has been recognized by his peers in many of the legal industry’s top professional honors, including:
- Listed in S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America from the very first edition to the current edition in the categories, presently, of Personal Injury Litigation, Criminal Defense (three distinct categories – white collar, non-white collar and DUI) and Malpractice Litigation.
- “Personal Injury Litigator of the Year” – Albany, NY (S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America– 2009).
- “DWI Defense Lawyer of the Year”– Albany, NY (S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America – 2012).
- “Criminal Defense: White Collar Lawyer of the Year” – Albany, NY (S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America– 2014).
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the East.
- Listed in Who’s Who in America.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the World.
- “Top 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers”(Law Dragon Magazine, 2007 and 2020).
- “Top 25 Attorneys in the Hudson Valley”(New York Super Lawyers – Upstate Edition – 2007 (inaugural edition) through 2019).
- “Top 10 Lawyers in Upstate New York”(Hudson Valley to Buffalo) (Super Lawyers Magazine – Upstate New York Edition – 2007 (inaugural edition) through 2020; (Top Point Getter in Upstate New York – 2007 and 2016 through 2020, and 2nd in four other years).
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
Federal Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
Albany County Bar Association
Saratoga County Bar Association
Member of the Committee on Character and Fitness for the Third Department
Mr. Jones has authored numerous articles and chapters in a broad variety of trial advocacy books and has lectured extensively throughout New York State in all facets of personal injury lawsuits. If you wish to engage E. Stewart Jones to discuss a specific publication or request his participation in an upcoming industry publication, please contact us today.
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers –(highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening – limited to 500 lawyers in the United States, with approximately an additional 50-75 lawyers from countries outside of the United States.
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers –(highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening – limited to 600 lawyers in the United States, with approximately an additional 50-75 lawyers outside of the United States.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers – (highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening – limited to 1% of the active trial and appellate lawyers in each state.
- Fellow, Inner Circle of Advocates – (most selective trial lawyers’ group)– limited to 100 active plaintiffs’ trial lawyers in this country. Among minimum requirements for the screening process are at least 50 trials to verdict on behalf of plaintiffs and multiple million dollar jury awards on behalf of individual plaintiffs.
- Fellow, American Board of Criminal Lawyers – (highly selective). By invitation only after lengthy screening.
- Fellow, American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, New York Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Chambers of Commerce / Business Memberships:
- Rensselaer County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Albany-Colonie Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce
- Retail Council of New York State
- Troy Business Improvement District (BID)
- Board of Trustees – Troy Savings Bank (1985-1989); Honorary Trustee (1989–2003). (Bank acquired by First Niagara effective January 2004).
- Board of Directors, the University Foundation at Albany (1989-1998).
- Board of Trustees – The Albany Academy (1990-2006).
- Secretary of the Board – (1991-1998).
- Executive Committee – (1991-1998).
- Co-Chairman – Capital Campaign for the Year 2000 – (1994-1999).
- Vice-Chairman of the Board – (2001-2003).
- Emeritus – (2006).
- Board of Trustees – The Albany Academies – (2006–present).
- Member, Academies Operating Board – (2006-2007). (The Board overseeing the consolidation of The Albany Academy and The Albany Academy for Girls)
- Chairman, Board of Trustees – (2011–present).
- Chairman, The Board of Overseers of The Albany Academies – (2007-2011).
- Chairman, Institutional Advancement Committee of the Board – (2007-2011).
- Third Century Capital Campaign, Capital Campaign Steering Committee – (2011–present).
- The Albany Academies Scholarship Luncheon (recognizing scholarship donors and the students and families who receive those scholarships)– Speaker and Master of Ceremonies – (2007–present).
- Board of Trustees – The Albany Law School – (1992–present).
- Secretary of the Board – (1992-1999 and 2004-2007).
- Vice-Chairman of the Board – (1999-2002).
- Executive Committee of the Board – (1999–present).
- Chairman of the Board – (2002).
- Chairman – Capital Campaign for the 150th Anniversary of the Law School – (1998-2004).
- Chairman – Board of Trustees – (2007-2010).
- Board of Directors – New York State Trial Lawyers Association – (1992-present).
- Director Emeritus – (1981-1991).
- Board of Directors – Federal Bar Foundation – (1994–present).
- Board of Trustees – The New York Interest on Lawyer Account Fund – (1997-1998).
- Board of Trustees – Fort Orange Club – (2004-2010).
- Board of Trustees – Albany Cemetery Association, Albany Rural Cemetery – (2005–present).
- Advisory Committee – Little Sisters of the Poor / Our Lady of Hope Residence – (2004–present).
- Board – WMHT Edison Society – (2005–present).
- Board of Trustees – Saratoga Performing Arts Center – (2005–present).
- Vice-Chair – (2005–2010).
- Vice-Chair – (2012–present).
- Board of Trustees – Teresian House Foundation – (2007–present).
- Board of Directors – Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York – (2008–present).
- Vice President – (2009-2010).
- Treasurer – (2011-2012).
- President – (2013–present).
- Chair and Co-Chair – Board for Campaign for Equal Justice of the Legal Aid Society – (from inception in 2004–present).
- Williams College
- Vice President Class of 1963.
- 50th Reunion Class Gift Committee.
- 50th Reunion Class Gift Purpose Committee.