Tom Higgs joined E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy in 2012 after successfully handling a broad array of cases in both Federal and State courts for various clients involving a wide range of matters that included: a class action antitrust lawsuit against graphic chip manufacturers; plaintiffs in product liability actions, municipalities and their employees – including law enforcement officials – in various capacities; a Fortune 500 company under investigation by the Department of Justice; and a NY sports and entertainment network in arbitration against a cable distributor in a carriage dispute.
Tom was previously an attorney at Boies, Schiller & Flexner, LLP and at Murphy, Burns, Barber & Murphy, LLP.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Tom worked as an English teacher for the Japanese Ministry of Education in Japan, as a purchasing manager for an international food company in Philadelphia, and as a manager in the Copper Trading Department of Mitsubishi International Corporation in New York City.
Tom was a judicial extern for the Hon. Thomas E. Mercure, New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department and also a research assistant to David D. Siegel, Distinguished Professor of Law at Albany Law School.
Areas of Practice
- 80% Commercial Litigation
- 10% Insurance Litigation
- 10% Property Tax
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 2003
- Massachusetts, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2010
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. – 2002
- Law Review: Editorial Board Member, Note & Comment Editor
- Colgate University
- A.B. – 1992
- Major: Asian Studies with a concentration in Japanese; Political Science
- AIDS: Overview of Legal Issues, Representing People With Disabilities, 2003
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Albany County Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Thomas E. Mercure, New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, Judicial Extern
- Japanese Ministry of Education in Japan
- Mitsubishi International Corporation, Manager