Do you need a DWI lawyer? Make no mistake, DWI / DUI charges in upstate New York are very serious. If you have been charged, you need to hire an experienced attorney right now.
Most DWI lawyers in the Albany, NY area charge very similar fees, so call an attorney you trust. It may be the best call you make.
With DWI, the defense attorney you hire can impact every aspect of your life; work, family, your ability to drive, and in serious cases, your freedom. DWI / DUI are very serious crimes that can result in a loss of driving privileges, fines, and/or possible jail term.
It is extremely important that you choose the best DWI / DUI lawyer for your case. Call E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy at (518) 274-5820, right now, and you’ll be immediately connected to an experienced, local DWI lawyer. Its that simple.
What is the difference between DUI and DWI / DWAI?
DUI: “Driving Under the Influence” in NY State is the same as DWAI or DWI.
In the U.S., individual states have the ability to define DUI penalties. New York State does not have a “DUI” charge. NY covers all charges related to driving while impaired by alcohol, illegal narcotics, prescription drugs or over-the-counter-medication under DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), or DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired).
Lawyers Who Understand DWI Charges in New York State
It is important to hire an experienced DWI defense attorney. One with vast knowledge of the finer points of the specific court and county in which you were charged.
To better understand your charges, alcohol and drug-related violations in New York State can include:
- DWI: BAC .08 or higher, or other evidence of intoxication for drivers of private vehicles.
- DWI: BAC .04 or higher, or other evidence of intoxication for drivers of commercial vehicles.
- Aggravated DWI: .18 BAC or higher.
- DWAI / Alcohol: .05 to .07 BAC or other evidence of impairment while driving a private vehicle.
- DWAI / Alcohol: .02 BAC for drivers of commercial vehicles or drivers under the age of 21 for any private vehicle.
- DWAI / Drug: Impaired by a single drug other than alcohol.
- DWAI / Combination: Driving while impaired by combined influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Felony DWI: Prior DWI / DWAI Drug charges or conviction, Vehicular Assault in the 1st or 2nd degree, or Vehicular Manslaughter in the 1st or 2nd degree, within the past 10 years you can be charged with a felony.
What are the fines for DWI and DWAI in NY?
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, DWI charges can range from mandatory fines from $1,000 – $10,000, accompanied by maximum prison terms of 1–7 years, and revocation of driver license for 6-18 months.
Factors that can impact DWI / DWAI Charges:
- Drivers under the age of 21 with a .02 BAC to .07 BAC are subject to NY State Zero Tolerance Law.
- Whether driver was driving a private or commercial vehicle.
- Previous DWI / DWAI arrest(s) or conviction(s).
- Driver attitude and behavior.
- Additional charges (misdemeanor or felony charges)
Choose The Best Legal Representation for You
Being charged with “Driving While Impaired” (DWI) by drugs or alcohol are serious charges.
Our criminal defense attorneys are experienced and compassionate. This combination is important when choosing an attorney as your future may depend on the judges’ verdict.
Experienced and Affordable Albany DWI Lawyers
Most clients choose a DWI / DWAI lawyer based on what they think they can afford. What they don’t realize is that E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy legal fees for DWI and DWAI defense are often more affordable compared to law firms you may see advertising on television or radio. We always encourage clients to talk with an attorney in advance to make sure they are comfortable with the amount of time, attention and knowledge that lawyer provides them.
Why does this matter?
Successful attorneys are known in the courts and can often accelerate the process through familiarity with case law and experience built upon results in DWI and other criminal defense matters from previous cases over many years.
We invite you to call the E. Stewart Jones Law Hacker Murphy Firm and compare our legal fees with other local DWI law firms. We think you’ll be pleased with how affordable our services are and how knowledgeable and helpful our attorneys will be, right from the start.
Also, depending on the case, our DWI lawyers are able to work with clients to set-up a convenient payment schedule for their legal fees. The bottom line…we are affordable, we listen and are here to help you through every step of this difficult situation. Request a Free DWI Case Analysis today.
E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy is an ethical, compassionate and respected law firm that has been serving the greater Capital Region since 1898. Learn more about our firm.
Charged with DWI or DUI in the Albany area?
Call us today and our knowledgeable legal defense team will put you in touch directly with an experienced DWI lawyer to review your case at no charge. We’ll allow you time to ask questions and will provide you with a no-obligation quote on the spot.
Do You Have an Urgent Legal Matter? Call Now at (518) 274-5820. We answer the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, even on holidays. We always connect clients directly to a defense attorney within moments. We are here to help.