1659 Central Avenue, Suite 103
Albany, NY 12205
Colonie, New York, the “Crossroads of the Capital District,” is much more than a suburb of Albany. The town’s 80,000 plus residents enjoy a relaxing residential atmosphere combined with modern amenities that are difficult to match. Over the years, we have served clients from Crescent Station, Mannsville, Menands, Newtonville, West Albany, and elsewhere in town.
There Is No Such Thing as a Detail – Everything Matters
There is no area of life that the law doesn’t touch in some way or another, and law is complicated because life is complicated. When a dispute or legal obstacle arises, however, the complexity of the situation may not be at all obvious to the untrained eye. At E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, we understand this. And we understand that our most valuable asset – our reputation – can only be measured by the results that we achieve.
The New York legal system is brutally competitive as a matter of principle. Even if you don’t plan on going to court, you could damage your claim by missing a critical deadline or miscalculating the other side’s intentions. It is likely that you are going to need some assistance. Our Colonie, NY, attorneys offer brilliance, common sense, a solid work ethic, extensive experience, and a thorough awareness of client needs.
“You were so easy to work with and so encouraging, positive, and supportive. Always a
gentleman – thank you!”
Our Colonie New York Law Firm Practice Areas
We handle the following types of claims, among others:
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Commercial and Estate Litigation
- Property Tax Disputes
- Labor Employment
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Family Law
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are my compensation options if I am injured in a hit-and-run accident?
Below are some of the more obvious options:
- Uninsured motorist protection (required for all New York drivers) will cover at least $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident, even if the driver who caused the accident is never located.
- Personal Injury Protection (also required for all New York drivers) will cover your own injuries up to $50,000 per accident.
- If this isn’t enough, you might try tracking down the hit-and-run driver and making a claim against their insurance policy.
Can I win a personal injury claim against a nightclub that sold alcohol to someone who injured me in a DWI accident?
It is certainly possible. You will have to prove that:
- you were injured in the accident;
- the driver who injured you was intoxicated at the time of the accident;
- the driver was intoxicated because of alcohol sold to him by the
- the driver was either under 21 or obviously already intoxicated at the time he was served.
What is the difference between the standard of proof in a criminal case and the standard of proof in a civil case?
To win a criminal conviction, the prosecution must establish guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt,” which is a very stringent standard. To win a civil claim, the standard for liability is “a preponderance of the evidence,” which means “more likely than not.” This is a much easier standard to meet. You could win a sexual harassment lawsuit, for example, against someone who was acquitted of the same conduct in criminal court.
How does a contingency fee arrangement work?
In a contingency fee arrangement (typically applied when you are seeking financial compensation from the opposing party), we don’t get paid unless you do and we don’t get paid until you do. We charge no upfront fees. If you receive compensation, our fees are calculated as a percentage of that compensation. If you receive no compensation, you won’t be receiving a bill from us at all.
Our Reputation Is Our Most Valuable Asset
E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy is a member of the top tier of law firms in the Albany metro area according to U.S. News, which has listed us as such every year since 2011. Each member of our team shines as an individual as well. Lawyers of our firm enjoy:
- Top rankings from the AVVO legal rating service
- “AV Preeminent” ratings from the Martindale Hubbell lawyer database
- Induction into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (along with only 500 lawyers
- Listing among America’s Top 100 Attorneys
Take Prompt, Decisive Action
Your choice of law firm could turn out to be the most important decision you make in your case. Contact E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy online or by calling (518) 486-8800 to schedule a free case consultation. We will have an attorney from our Colonie New York Law Firm available to assist you 24/7, 365 days a year – even on public holidays.