Knowledgeable Albany Personal Injury Attorneys
The human body is a fragile organism, and there are thousands of ways to suffer an injury. In some cases an accident will “just happen” with nobody to blame. In other cases, the accident can be traced to carelessness or even an intentional act. When you are injured through the fault of another, New York personal injury law is designed to provide you with full financial compensation.
The stark reality, however, is that merely having a personal injury claim under New York law doesn’t guarantee that you will be able to actually collect it. Winning a personal injury claim – either in court or (more commonly) at the settlement table – is a tricky process that requires experience, legal knowledge, street smarts, and a thorough understanding of human psychology.
Let Us Handle Your Claim for You
The recovery period following a personal injury is a difficult time to be handling a claim, especially against a stingy insurance company or a stubborn defendant. Insurance companies in particular will try to take advantage of you financially, by playing on your physical weakness and emotional vulnerability to get you to accept a settlement that is worth far less than what you deserve.
At E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, we will have a good idea how much your claim is worth very early on. Indeed, personal injury claims are almost always worth more than simple reimbursement of medical expenses. Let us do the negotiating for you, while you make the important decisions. Our aim is to keep the experience as stress-free as possible for you.
Nobody Takes Advantage of Our Clients – We Simply Won’t Stand for It.
Opposing attorneys, and insurance companies in particular, are aware of our reputation. And because of that, they certainly don’t want to see us in court.
“You were so easy to work with and so encouraging, positive and supportive. Always a gentleman – thank you!”
Our Personal Injury Practice Areas
We handle the following types of personal injury claims, among others:
- Car Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Truck Accident
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Accident
- Defective Products
- Slip and Fall
- Dog Bites
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are my insurance options after a hit-and-run accident?
New York’s minimum auto insurance coverage law requires every driver registered with the New York DMV to carry a certain minimum amount of insurance coverage. The following types of insurance can be used to cover a hit-and-run accident:
- $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident for an accident with an uninsured motorist; and
- Personal Injury Protection of $50,000 per accident.
What should I do to prepare for a dog bite claim?
New York dog bite law applies special standards for dog bite claims. In the event of a dog bite, take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention
- Identify the dog owner
- Report the incident to city officials
- Keep documentation of your medical expenses
- Contact a personal injury lawyer
Can I win a claim against a bar that sold alcohol to someone who injured me in a DUI accident?
Yes you can, if you can prove:
- you were injured by an intoxicated person,
- the person became intoxicated at least partially because of alcohol sold to him by the bar, and
- the intoxicated person was under 21, or visibly intoxicated at the time he was served.
What do I have to prove to win a slip and fall claim?
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you can win a personal injury claim if you can prove that:
- you were injured by a dangerous condition on the property,
- the defendant is the owner or lessee of the property, and
- the defendant knew or should have known about the condition but failed to remedy it or warn of it.
Our Professional Reputation
E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy has been named a first-tier Albany law firm by U.S. News annually since 2011. Lawyers from our firm have been awarded the following honors:
- Top rankings from AVVO, the prominent legal rating service
- “AV Preeminent” ratings from the Martindale Hubbell
- Membership in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (along with only 500 lawyers in the entire country)
- Listed among America’s Top 100 Attorneys
Time Can Be Your Friend or Your Enemy
Personal injury claims have a tendency to grow stale over time, as memories fade and evidence disappears. To maximize your chances of a full recovery, it is important that you act quickly to press your claim. If you have been injured anywhere in the state of New York and you believe that someone else may be responsible, contact us today to schedule a free case consultation.