In Upstate New York, winter can be one of the most beautiful seasons of the year, but it can also be the most dangerous. If you’re planning to travel this winter, be sure that you properly prepare your vehicle and follow our three key winter driving tips.
Preparing Your Vehicle for Winter
To avoid any potentially hazardous situations while traveling this winter, be sure to have your vehicle winterized by having the following inspected next time you have your vehicle serviced.
- Ignition, fuel, cooling and exhaust systems
- Fluid levels and windshield wipers
- Tire tread, pressure and alignment
- Battery, lights, brakes, belts and defroster
Remember, always keep your fuel tank as close to full as possible. This minimizes condensation and adds extra weight to the vehicle. Be sure to pack your car with seasonal essentials – ice/snow brush, sandbags (if needed for traction), jumper cables, road flares, a blanket and flashlight with batteries.
NY Winter Driving Tips
- Be sure to remove ice and snow from your vehicle, especially from all windows and lights. Don’t forget to clear off the hood, roof and trunk. Also, remember to check your local road conditions, you can do this quickly and right from your cellphone by calling 511.
- Just because you have a 4×4 or all wheel drive vehicle, doesn’t mean you should get comfortable in adverse winter conditions. Brake early. Brake carefully. Brake correctly. In snowy ad icy conditions it takes longer distances for a vehicle to stop – be sure to leave sufficient space between yourself and other drivers at all times.
- Please remember to slow down this winter season – posted speed limits are for dry pavement, not snowy or icy conditions. Also, please remember to buckle your seatbelt, it’s the law.
For more winter driving tips, visit the AAA website.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact us immediately to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced lawyers. We offer convenient meeting times at any of our four regional law offices in Albany, Troy, Latham and Saratoga Springs, NY.
The E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy legal team is also available 24/7 for emergency situations by calling (518) 274-5820. We are here to help you through this difficult time.